Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I hate fresh cilantro, but I don't mind dried, especially in these shrimp tacos

I made a discovery last week. I hate fresh cilantro, but I don’t mind dried.
   Ground coriander, or cilantro, is used in Quick Shrimp Tacos (click for the recipe) from Fine Cooking magazine, and the taste didn’t gross me out at all – in fact, it was quite wonderful.
   The recipe does call for fresh cilantro, but I left that out.
   The ground coriander, easily found in any supermarket spice aisle, is used in the sour cream dressing and in the shrimp as it cooks.
   These tacos were a satisfying weeknight dinner, and were quick and easy to make. The shredded cabbage is a surprising but welcome addition to the tacos.
   Although the recipe calls these tacos, you could roll them up as wraps – they use tortilla shells, after all.
   Flour tortillas (I used whole wheat) are wrapped in aluminum foil and heated in an oven for 15 minutes.
   A dressing is made from sour cream, lime juice, lime zest (finely-grated lime peel), ground coriander and salt.
   Finely-diced red onion is cooked in a skillet, then peeled and deveined shrimp is added, along with ground coriander, ground cumin, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and salt. The shrimp is cooked, then lime juice and lime zest are added, and the mixture is stirred and removed from the heat.
   To serve, shredded green cabbage, the sour cream dressing and the shrimp are placed in the warmed tortillas.



No comments: